Thursday, January 19, 2012

Votive Candle Holder Tutorial

I have a little tutorial for you today. I'm pretty excited, it's my first tutorial, I hope you like it! I'm working on my master bathroom. Nothing drastic, just hanging some things, taking some things down, etc. I haven't really done anything in there except paint, so it's time! I hope to show you everything on Monday. But for now I will show you one of the things that will be going in there!

I made this little votive candle holder out of an empty salsa jar. If you would like to make one too, here is the supply list:
*empty, clean glass jar: Goo gone and a razor blade
*fabric linen, muslin or I used a drop cloth
*ribbon, embelishments: stamps, ink, paint, twine etc.
*ruler, scissors, hot glue gun
*(optional) mirror spary paint


Pretty simple really! Here's what I did!
First: you want to take the lables off. So get your Goo Gone and a razor blade and scrape until your hand cramps you get all the goobies off.

Second: measure around the jar. I used a tape measure and add a 1/2 inch to overlap on the back. Then measure how wide you want your fabric. Now cut it out so you have strip of fabric.

Third: This step is optional. Spray the outside of your jar with mirror paint. Wait just a minute or two, you don't want the paint to completely dry, then pour some vinegar on a paper towel and wipe some of the paint off. We are going for a mercury glass effect here, so it should be spotty. I just wiped away spots on the top rim and the bottom edge where the fabric isn't covering the glass. I then sprayed on the inside of the jar just to give it some dimension. Let it dry completely now.

Fourth: Stamp or paint your images on the fabric. I used a "words" clear stamp to stamp all the way across the fabric. Then I cut a small circle (about 2inch diam.) and stamped my little sparrow on it. If you're using stamps and ink, make sure you use Staz On ink so it doesn't bleed on the fabric.
Fifth: Make the rosette: Cut a small circle out of fabric (about 1 inch) and a strip about 15 inches long and 1 inch wide. Working in small sections, glue the fabric strip around the edge of the circle folding and fanning it as you go. I then took a piece of brown satin ribbon and ran a gather stitch along the edge and pulled it tight to make another smaller rosette. Glue all the layers together. Beautiful!


Sixth: Wrap the strip of fabric with the "words" on it around the jar glue one edge to the jar then pull it tight and overlap the other edge over and glue it down. Glue on your rosette, maybe some pretty ribbon around the top to hide the edge of the jar where the top was screwed on, tie some old keys or other embelishment on and voila! A beautiful votive holder on the cheap!
Thank you for sticking it out with me to the end! Have fun making your own personalized candle holder! If you make one, please let me know! I would love to see it!


 I am linking this post to:



No comments:

Post a Comment